Sunday, February 22, 2009

Take 6 Interview with CAmm Intern Angie Young!

Angie Young is a DC based activist and documentary filmmaker, and the newest intern in the CAmm Internship Program.

Angie recently went on a US tour with her first movie, The Coat Hanger Project, a documentary film about abortion and the current state of the pro-choice movement 35 years after Roe v. Wade. A trailer of her movie is posted below.

1. What's the last movie you loved and what was the last movie you hated?
I was very aesthetically impressed with Robinson Devor's film "Zoo" - I thought it was incredibly beautiful. I loved the lighting and the imagery and use of voiceover. He took a salacious and complex topic and was able to make it gorgeous and accessible. I was also really impressed with "Coraline" the new Tim Burton film. It's unbelievable what's being done with 3-D animation these days. I haven't seen anything that I have hated recently, but "Palindromes" by Todd Solondz definitely made my brain ache, and I still can't tell if it was in a good way or a bad way.

2. What's your guilty pleasure movie or TV show?
I don't watch a lot of TV but when I do it's usually Rachel Maddow on MSNBC, The Daily Show or South Park. If I'm with someone rich enough to have expensive cable, then I furtively devour Dexter, Weeds, Big Love, and The L Word. Guilty pleasure movies include pretty much anything from the horror genre. I also watch documentaries like they are going out of style and get tremendous pleasure from them (but I don't feel guilty about it).

3. What kind of films do you make?
So far I have made one documentary, "The Coat Hanger Project," that I completed in 2008 and am working on promoting. It's about the current state of the pro-choice movement and reproductive justice and why we need to fight to keep abortion rights for women. I am excited to make more documentaries in the social justice and activist realms, but I'm also hopeful about breaking into features.

4. How'd you get into filmmaking?
Kind of backwards. I did not have a film background when I started making The Coat Hanger Project, and had to teach myself everything along the way. I selfishly made friends with anyone I could find that was involved with film, and immediately sucked everything I could out of their brains like a parasitic alien. Now I am working as a video an intern at the Creative Alliance and still trying to learn absolutely everything I possibly can. I would say that I am currently pretty firmly obsessed with filmmaking.

5. What's your fave piece of gear?
I am still learning about cameras and gear, but after sitting in on one of Michelle Ferrell's lighting workshops, I would say that lights have definitely captured my creative imagination as a director.

6. Why did you decide to do an internship at Creative Alliance Movie Makers? What projects have you been working on here?
I decided to do an internship at the Creative Alliance because I was eager to be surrounded by the amazing and talented and creative people who work here, and it has been worth every second. I can't say enough about the incredible opportunities that the Creative Alliance offers. I have learned so much already. I am excited about my next project which will be to put together a string of short social justice documentary focused pieces for the new AV Cart to be on display this summer.




No comments:

Indie Film Blogs

Live feeds from some of our favorite indie film blogs!

Citypaper.com Arts and Minds

Salon: Beyond the Multiplex

SpoutBlog

Film: Film blog | guardian.co.uk

IFC.com - Indie Eye

doc it out

Filmmaker Magazine

Citypaper.com CPTV